March 7, 2007

Super Mom Makes Candy Sushi!

This week was Super Mom week at the Moore home; with my hubby out of town; for the first time EVER without us... Andy and I were so lonely! But tonight he is BACK! Hooray!

I tried to keep busy, and keep Andy's mind off daddy...and I wanted to spoil him a bit. I asked him (age 32 mo.) what his favorite food was at the beginning of the week, and he actually requested sushi! I think it's because he knows that sushi is MY fave food... But he answered...
"sushi, like in the movies!"
"what movie Andy?", I mean has he been watching Japanese art films while I'm not looking?
"like Monstas INK!" (written phonetically for your enjoyment)

So OK... were gonna have sushi... I had all these big plans. Well you know how THAT goes... and before you scare me with your personal horror stories about toddlers and raw fish; lemme assure you... I would not give a child raw fish... at least raw fish I bought in Illinois; perhaps if we were on the coast... but an Illinois bred California or Unagi Roll never hurt anyone.

Tuesday afternoon I decided we were NOT going to drive the required 10 miles to aquire GOOD sushi... or sushi making supplies... so I improvised... a short trip to Jewel later we were ready to craft some kid friendly sushi.

Forgive the darkness of this picture; I have weird lights in my kitchen...

This is made just like regular sushi rolls... but instead of Rice we have Rice Krispy Treats, and instead of Salmon we use Swedish Fish (only the red ones... or orange perhaps). The "Nori" is made from fruit roll ups! I used a regular ole Bamboo Sushi Mat to assemble the Roll... but a placemat or just a piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper would work too... Here is an AWESOME tutorial on regular sushi roll assembly if you are interested.

The end results...

I think they turned out fabulous! The instruction on how to create the Nigiri style candy sushi's is probably self explanatory... just cut the Krispy Treats as usual and wrap a strip of the roll up around the rice/fish combo. Plus they taste pretty good... I ate a few and didn't die of sweetness.

The super cool pottery slab/tray was created my my Uncle Mike... a wonderful artist who you should check out.

Now I am off to teach a 2 year old how to use chopsticks... wish me luck!

17 comments:

Jeanine Eckert said...

Oh, how cute! Great idea!

Pegg S said...

Oh my gosh this is so clever! How fun-- I love how you came up w/ this for your son and did not disappoint him. This is something I'll remember if I'm lucky enough to have children in the future :)

Anonymous said...

I think this is sooo creative,, it looks great,,,, I might do this for my grand kids,, even though they would rather have tako(octopus) or sake (salmon)!
Linda Yamakido(queen of sushi)

(you guys made me ink)

donna said...

TOO CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

You, Sarah, are a GENIUS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute and fun! Rachael Ray did something like this in her magazine a while back. I love it!
Geny

AnneMarie said...

you win! you are the super mom! lol!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh - these are awesome! My daughter is having a "sleep-over" birthday party later this month and rather than have them just sit around watching movies, I wanted to get them into the kitchen - this is perfect. Maybe a chocolate fountain fondue and some fancy cupcakes and they'll be set! Thanks for the great idea!

PURSuE Your Art! said...

Very cute, very fun! But girl you have way toooo much time on your hands! Do you ever sleep???

Erin

Melissa Norris said...

So super cute and fun Sarah! You are super mom!!
~Melissa

Anonymous said...

That has to be one of the most creative things I've seen! I might have to try it at my next party :)

Aime
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photokitten

Louise said...

This is too cute! I'm gonna show my sister in law - they love sushi and have three little boys :)

Anonymous said...

You are *so* supermom!

Sara's stampin cards said...

Thats my kind of sushi! YUM! what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, what a great idea! You did a wonderful out-of-the box job, and I bet your little guy will remember it for a long time to come. TFS!

Creative Expressions by Stephanie said...

Ohhhh, my gosh...you are one creative gal!!! That is too cute!!! My 3yr old like Sushi too but I would dream of the raw stuff...I haven't even braved it yet. So we buy califonia rolls...no raw fish :)

Allison said...

I love it! I'm definitely going to pass your blog on to my mom... she is a HUGE stamper!