October 6, 2007

World Card Making Day Challenge: Bleaching!

Thanks for visiting my challenge!

All the Design Team Challenges for justjohanna are listed HERE. You have until Midnight (Pacific time) on SUNDAY to complete the challenges! I hope you will play along!!!

Please follow along on the justjohanna forums. There are super-duper prizes to be won! You can read all the rules HERE. In addition to the wonderful prizes justjohanna is providing I will be awarding a collection of 6X6 holiday papers to one person who plays in my challenge! (randomly)


If you complete my challenge, be sure to post a link to your entry here on my blog. If you don't have a blog of your own, just post your image in the justjohanna forum galleries. You can ask me any questions you have in the justjohanna forums in my challenge thread... I will be checking it for the first couple hours! Although please try to bear with me... I am at a hotel with a spotty connection... I think I will post this and then RACE home... give me an hour or so! :)

Let's begin!

Supplies needed:
  • StazOn ink or Craft Ink and embossing powder.

  • A heat embossing tool.

  • Bleach (I use Clorox "splashless" bleach... but any bleach will do).

  • Colored Cardstock (white core cardstock is not recommended for this technique... I use Stampin' up or Bazzill Basics Cardstock myself.)

  • A small paintbrush.

Step One: Stamp your image in StazOn Ink on your cardstock. If you do not have StazOn you can emboss the images on the cardstock to make them permanent.


Step Two: Use your bleach to paint inside the stamped image. Set aside to dry or speed up process with a heat tool. Different colors and brands of paper bleach out to different colors... not always white. Experiment and see what happens!


Final Step: If you'd like, tint your bleached images with other colors. In this sample I added a touch of pink to the breast of the birds with watercolor crayons. After you are done tinting... complete your card!


Here are some more samples created with Bleaching...

See how these colors bleached out sort of yellow... coolness!


I just left these birdhouses white...


Birds and hats tinted with reinkers and a brush after bleaching a light pink paper.

8 comments:

Renée Storch said...

I recently tried this technique and was so excited to try it again. Thanks for the challenge. Here is my card

http://neeskreativekorner.blogspot.com/2007/10/bleaching-challenge.html

Julie Prichard said...

These look great, Sarah!

Godelieve said...

Excellent tutorial Sarah! Love your cards!
Here is mine:
Bleaching

Anonymous said...

These cards with the birds are adorable. I forgot about bleaching!!! Thanks for the reminder.

Eleanor said...

Sarah,
Your cards ROCK, girl! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Fairle Beaman Carroll said...

Hi, Sarah!
Love those birds!
Here's my bleaching; thank you!!!

http://stamping101.blogspot.com/2007/10/wcmd-challenge-bleaching-color-blocking.html

Unknown said...

You have a very nice blog. You're very keen in details. I got something that is new to you! My site is up already hope you will check my site it's nice I guarantee, www.2-clicks-stamps.com

Karen said...

Very cool and fun....I'm going to try it....Ran across your blog this morn and just wanted to stop by and say hi...I also live in Elgin and am a crafting fool! Check out my blog if you get a chance.