March 15, 2007

Retro Stamping!

I have some super cool images to show you from a company I recently discovered called Sideshow Stamps. They have all these awesome retro images; 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's... I love them ALL! I have been doing a bit of design work for them; and I am so excited to share a couple cards today featuring their hip stamps. It was so much fun getting a little retro; and let these unique images inspire me!

First up we have this late 1940's early 1950's inspired card. Done in with all Stampin' Up! Paper and inks; Real Red, Basic Black and Whisper White... the ribbon is SU! and a cute polka dot scrap I had in my ribbon scrap bin. The center ribbon slide was created on my Cuttlebug. The card has a lot of dimension too... hard to see in the picture I fear; but the center/focal image of the Saddle Shoe is up on Stampin' Up! Dimentionals. All the Stamps; "Neat!", "Cherry Pair" and "1950's Saddle Shoes" are by Sideshow Stamps.



The next card I created was inspired by those crazy lacquered/modge-podge wood plaques we all had hanging in our bedrooms in the 70's... I swear that's almost the SAME OWL! All Stamps are by Sideshow Stamps. All papers/inks by Stampin' Up!; Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, More Mustard, Kraft, and Very Vanilla Paper.... and the same shades in inks... plus Close to Cocoa, Pumpkin Pie and Summer Sun.

I watercolored the owl, called "70's Owl", direct from the ink pad with an Aquapen. I further sponged it and distressed the edge with my Cutter Kit (by SU!). It is mounted with Dimensionals and gold brads on a rectangle of sweded Chocolate Chip Paper. The background was created with the stamp "Acorn and Leaves". I fancied the ribbon embellishment with Stampin' Up! On Board Accents sponged with Old Olive Classic Ink. The new Petals and Paisley Paper from the Spring Mini is masquerading as one strip of ribbon... I also stamped over it to further disguise it! The other ribbons are SU!'s Twill tape, also stamped, and some VERY 70's inspired ribbon by Prima. AND all those polka dots; on the twill tape and the background, are created with a pencil eraser! The perfect DOT! A small oval punch frames the cool Sideshow Stamps sentiment "Heck Yeah!"... groovy!

Be sure to visit Sideshow Stamps... the owner Jennifer is the bomb... her and her honey own Sideshow Stamps and live in the Mojave Desert! They also play in a cool Surf Band! They sell their stamps mounted or unmounted. I opted for the nnmounted and bought some of that "creative cling" stuff and mounted them on that... works GREAT! and saves me some space!

Lokks like they are having a SALE right now too! Be sure to tell 'em Sarah and the Stampstars sent you! And stay tuned; I have A LOT of these great images... and I have PLANS for them!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh! I just had a flashback of my grandmother's house! She collected owls and most of them were exactly in these colors!!! This card really makes me smile!

Terry Molineux said...

Thanks for enabling me....I said I wasn't going to purchase anything now until convention....yeah sure!!! Had to get that owl!!!

Martha Bonneau said...

Enabler!!! I just broke down and ordered the cool owl border and because I had to have it, the groovy mummy :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, I love these stamps too. I really like your red and black Cherry and Shoe card. Reminds me of the old 50's diners. The owl is cool too - very earthy!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...that's so cool.

Anonymous said...

You are such a great stamper! TFS!

Nancy said...

I really love what you did with the ribbon in the black white and red card. Very neat