February 27, 2007

"Bunny Love" Diorama Card

When I was a child the BEST part of Easter morning was receiving a lovely sugared egg in my Easter Basket. I wonder where my mother purchased them... so special... so rare! These little candy treasures weren't to be eaten; but to be saved... for days at least... too tempting to be saved forever! I would always begin to pick at the candy bits first, the flower on the top... then the royal icing trim along the edge of the egg's opening... Within a week the egg would be devoured! These precious sugared eggs were the inspiration for this card. I will admit; I am a bit thrilled with how it turned out!

Firstly; an egg shape, and the opening to the egg, was created using my Coluzzle Oval Cutter on a piece of Whisper White Cardstock. Then I cut two pieces of paper 4 1/4 X 5 1/2" and Scored them both in 1/2 an inch and then 1/4 of an inch. I used the Coluzzle to cut an oval in the celery piece that matched up with the White Egg. Then I embossed the egg; using a Versamark pad direct to paper and Iridescent Ice Embossing Powder... it's very glittery; just like a real sugared egg!

The scalloped pink inner boarder was made with 16 1/2" circles... tacked into the inside of the egg prior to layering it over the celery front. The Whisper White background layer was stamped with the tulips from "Bunny Love" (in the SU! Spring Mini) and they were colored with Stampin' Up's markers. A Celery base of "grass" was doodled in place. Mr. Bunny was stamped and cut out; then mounted in place with Dimensionals to make him pop forward a bit.

Lastly; I folded the front and back into a box with the help if the pre-scored markings; creating the diorama look of this card. The flat part of the fold was used to affix the two pieces with sticky strip... the back of this card sticks out as much as the front, so it is 1/2" thick, but presses flat for mailing!

I finished the card with flower punches in Apricot and Pale plum, the leaves were stamped with the set Bodacious Bouquet in Celery. The little eggs were stamped with the same set, colored with markers, cut out and glued in place. A window word punch made simple work of the card's nameplate style "Easter Wishes" title at the top!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, Sarah, that is beautiful and perfect and adorable! Wonderful work!!!

Melissa Norris said...

This looks awesome Sarah. Totally reminds me of the ones we had when I was little. I used to love pulling them out every Easter but sadly they got lost when we moved. I might make one of these for my mom so that she can remember them.

Allison Rankin said...

OMG...this is awesome! Makes me think of those great eggs too!

Lynn Mercurio said...

Spectacular! It may have been a lot of work, but it looks like it was worth it! Fabulous. TFS

Anonymous said...

Good morning Sarah!
This card is so beautiful! I love all the detail. It's wonderful!
Shelley

AnneMarie said...

I'm in ****llllllllllllllllove!****
this is the cutest card!

Anonymous said...

this card is adorable

Anonymous said...

THIS is so precious! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Anonymous said...

I love this card. it reminds me of the fun at Easter when I was growing up. It looks perfect for sending to grandchildren. you are so talented and creative

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty card - very creative!

Anonymous said...

Love it...the colors are so Eastery (is that a word?)....
may have to case this one. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness gracious - Just found your blog and it's terrific. Love, love this Easter card. And thanks for the cool catalog index card site. Very neat. Linda

Anonymous said...

Too cute for words!!

Anonymous said...

I love this! What a fun card. I'm definitely going to case this. It looks good enough to eat!
Melisa

paige said...

My Mom used to make those sugary surprise eggs! Looking at your card it reminded me of watching my Mom make all the little flowers, chicks and rabbits out of frosting and then asemble the scene and decorate the eggs - Alas,I was not blessed with her artisitic talent. I'm going to make a card like this for her for Easter - yes I am! Thanks for bringing back some wonderful, magical memories!
Paige