December 17, 2006

Dysfunctional Family Bingo


BINGO game: close up on family
Originally uploaded by wardomatic.
I first read about Dysfunctional Family Bingo in the December 2002 issue of Oprah's "O" Magazine. Martha Beck wrote a wonderful article on how to kick up the "fun" in Dysfunction... Here's how to play:

Before the next holiday event, gather up your friends and family and make your bingo cards. I use a 5X5 square grid.. .but you can decide on more squares or less depending on the dysfunction in YOUR family. Now everyone fills in their individual cards. Think about those things that you might expect to see at your Holiday family gatherings. In my case for example I might write; "Mom is passive aggressive", "Dad tries to sell me vitamins", or "Molly is late and misses dinner". Each player will have their own unique card.

Now you could play for money... or just for bragging rights... but the best part is that those things that made you cringe in the past will now make you squeal with delight! This year when your grandma pours her 5th martini and yells at your father you can pull that card out of your pocket and place an "X" in that square!

I hope your Family Holiday Parties are as Entertaining as Mine!

1 comment:

Danita said...

OMG! That is classic! I may just have to make my own personal bingo card and see if I can "win"!!